February 24th, 2020, 20:44 Posted By: wraggster
When it was released in 1988, Ultima: Exodus was revolutionary, and proof that the RPGs that were already popular on microcomputers could be ported to home consoles. However, the original game had its flaws, and the NES version added its own.
This patch not only fixes bugs and restores missing text and clues, but also updates the graphics, reintroduces enemies that were only found in the computer versions, and improves the gameplay without completely altering it.
Gone are the days of grinding low level monsters for 95% of a playthrough: now levelling up is actually rewarding and encouraged. Higher level characters receive buffs and special abilities, magic users become more powerful and their spells have better chances to succeed, and more dangerous monsters and dungeons also give the best loot.
Note that this isn’t an “easy mode” patch: the game is still punishing, but not in an unfair and unfun way. The player will progress through their quest to defeat Exodus.
A partial list of what’s on offer in Ultima: Exodus Remastered (see the Release Notes for an extensive list):
Note that this hack does not alter sound/music and is aimed at being compatible with future sound/music hacks.
- Updated, more user-friendly UI
- Bug fixes
- Many Quality-Of-Life changes
- Improved “3D” dungeon view
- Graphics inspired to Ultima IV-VI
- NPC portraits in dialogues
- Lootable weapons/armour
- New enemy AI makes battles faster and more tactical
- Battle/magic systems rebalance
- More distinct Professions, each with their own stats and abilities
- Horses actually make map movement faster over certain terrain types and are not just cosmetic
Have fun exploring Sosaria again!
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 0 comments - Join In and Discuss Here