Something held me to the heart ... For so long that I tried to resume but did not succeed, it is time to face reality once and for all and declare the project closed (to be launched by fashion Nhut)
But as this project is enormously important to me because here was one of the major projects of the former PA, I want to post here and share them with those who might be missed, since he not been taken from the old forum.
It is a clone of Sonic on Mega Drive, a technical challenge to reproduce the original gameplay. The project was started in late 2003 on the TI-89 (calculator) if I remember correctly. The discovery of the GBA, its large color screen and responsive immediately motivated me to bring the code on it. After a small demo Mario (available here), it also brought a soft TI who wanted to be like Mario Land, as I started the adventure.
The project then evolved on the basis of criticism and assistance of members of PA. I remember the first version of the engine that I presented with a physical in the west but just Sonic 1 and BG (no subject) took more than 100% of the CPU of the console ... then came to add a lot of features and the engine is below the 40% CPU ... Among these are:
- Infinite number of tiles (not limited VRAM) for dynamic loading
- Infinite number of tiles and palettes for the sprites, as well as sprites themselves by a similar trick
- Effects of variable scrolling on a given plane and management of water levels by reparameterization of the palette via VCOUNT interruptions, the next is reparamétrée once the other completed (there was therefore no HBLANK)
- Audio mixer based on a single channel ADPCM (for music) and 4-channel PCM (for sfx)
- System managed pixel text with variable width fonts, allowing debugging and a compact menu
The physics engine, object management and collisions was designed without using the original code, but just by observation (that fortunately constants chosen by the Sonic Team are relatively easy to guess). So a simple code = fair
Then the project has continued and Phoebius, big fan of Sonic, joined me. Originally, we wanted to make new levels, with graphics in the style of Sonic Mega Drive. Unfortunately the term motivation is happened ...
There are some prototypes, presented on the following son:
For the first time, the source code is provided. I have updated to be able to compile the latest version of devkitpro (I say hell no, so many things change over the install personal HAM I had at the time) and including Sonic the Development Kit. The SDK is his nickname in the form of a simple project that uses the object files and allows the engine to add new levels, objects, behaviors and Sonic the code without touching the engine. It was used so that Phoebius, who knew no code, creates his own enemies and levels while I was working on the engine.
Includes all the tools you need, except GBA Graphics (it available on my site). From memory it has:
- SpriteCutter to create scripted sprites in several parts
- All: to centralize the definitions in a file. H
- Wav2son and Wav2bgm: to convert the music and sound effects
Hoping that this will drive away the ghosts that haunt me and gives a good time to those who did not know.
PS: the source is available here: http://brunni.dev-fr.org/dl/gba/sonic_src.7z