This is a port of Genesis Plus, an open-source & portable Sega Mega Drive / Genesis emulator, originally developed by Charles MacDonald
, now running on the Gamecube and Wii through libogc & devkitpro
This project was initially based on Genesis Plus 1.2 source code but, with respect to initial code design, the original core has been slightly modified, improving emulator accuracy & compatibility, as well as implementing new features and adding support for lot of peripherals & extra cartridge hardware.
The result is that Genesis Plus GX is now extremely faithful to the “real thing”, can run 100% of the Genesis / Mega Drive game library (including all unlicensed & pirate available dumps) but also the majority of Master System games (compatibility is the same as Power Base Converter) and, last but not least, comes with plenty of exciting features that have nothing to envy to your most favorite PC emulators.
The generic (multi-platform) code is maintained through the SVN repository so that other Genesis Plus ports can take advantage of it, as I sincerely hope this emulator can become a reference for open-source
Genesis emulation. If you want to port this emulator to other platforms or have any questions about Genesis emulation, feel free to contact me.
Please read the Wiki
or the included User Manual
for more informations.
What's New ?
* added support for Master System compatibility mode (Z80 ports access mode), incl. Mode 5 rendering.
* added Mode 4 rendering for both Genesis & Master System modes.
* added alternate BG planes rendering functions (should be faster on PPC architectures).
* added support for Master System compatibility mode (Z80 ports access mode).
* added Master System peripherals emulation (Control Pad, Paddle, Sports Pad & Light Phaser).
* added XE-1AP (analog controller) emulation.
* added Activator emulation.
* added support for all known Master System cartridge mappers.
* added copy-protection hardware emulation for a few MD unlicensed games: fixes 777 Casino (crash when talking to bunny girls).
(NB: most of those unlicensed games seem to have been already patched by ROM dumpers, main purpose is documenting them)
* added support for Top Shooter arcade board controller. (A=Shoot, B=Bet, C/RIGHT=Coins, START=Start, hold UP on startup to enter service mode)
* improved King of Fighters 98 mapper emulation (registers address decoding is now 100% accurate)
* fixed Game Genie when several codes affect same ROM address.
* fixed EEPROM types for Brian Lara Cricket & NBA Jam TE (verified on real cartridges)
* added Master System compatibility mode emulation (automatically enabled when loading ROM file with .sms extension).
* improved savestate stability & compatibility (support for old 1.4.x savestates is preserved)
* various code cleanup & comments.
* fixed cheat codes handling when several codes affect same ROM address.
* improved input controller detection on menu exit.
* improved key remapping dialog box to match emulated device
* changed Menu key for Gamecube controller to allow MODE button mapping
* fixed DVD not being unmounted on swap (memory leak)
* added USB mouse support for Sega Mouse emulation
* compiled with latest libogc: improves USB compatibility & fixes stability issues with Wiimotes.