August 11th, 2011, 01:11 Posted By: wraggster
Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has admitted that 3DS needed better first-party games at launch, and that the delayed release of the eShop was also a mistake.
"We needed to have key franchises and stronger first-party titles," he told USA Today. He reiterated the firm's high expectations for Pokémon Rumble Blast, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, but admitted: "Certainly, we needed to have stronger support at the launch from a first-party perspective and maybe have some of these key first-party titles earlier in the launch window in order to get the system selling stronger at the start and, ongoing, drive momentum."
He said the delayed release of the online eShop also contributed to the 3DS' early-life stumble. "We've seen very positive reaction to the digital offerings but it needed to be much sooner in the launch window. As a result that created a situation where the momentum wasn't sustained. And that's why we have now had to go back and reduce the price and reduce the price by a large amount in order to make sure we have stronger momentum beginning on Friday and powering through," said Fils-Aime.
"It's a situation where we weren't able to sustain those first few strong positive weeks. This is a momentum business and when you don't have the momentum it creates a tough situation whether it's with retailers or with third-party publishers who become a bit more reluctant to support a platform."
In response to disappointing sales, 3DS' RRP will officially drop from $249 to $169.99 in the US on August 12. A cut to the European trade price will come on the same day, but GameStop UK is already offering Nintendo's portable for just £134.97 with free shipping.
Nintendo today confirmed US release dates for its two big-hitters: Super Mario 3D Land will arrive first on November 13, followed by Mario Kart 7 on December 4.
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 0 comments - Join In and Discuss Here