September 7th, 2006, 18:39 Posted By: Kung-Fu Fetus
NDS 3D World Toolset
After having a bash at creating a 2D game for the NDS (Finger Monkey and Inverto Goose) I decided to have a try at a 3D game.
I had a look at "NDS World Studio" which is a very good program, but as I like to program games in C++ and use OOP it didn’t meet my needs.
I decided to create my own model exporter. The exporter features:
- Exports each model as a c++ class for easy implementation into a game
- Supports multiple textures
- Bounding Box data for collisions
After getting this initial exporter running and creating a 3D game engine to load them I found it was a pain to place objects to create a good looking 3D world.
I developed the exporter further into a Map Creation tool, which features:
- Load in X-Files
- Displays models in both free and top down views
- Create large worlds quickly and easily
- Setup collision costs and object types
- AABB data generated
- All code needed to create a 3d world is exported, just a bit of copy and pasting into the NDS 3d engine.
- creates bat files for use with Delfares texture exporter, which works really well
The features of the 3D engine are:
- 3D Models created as C++ Classes for easy OOP implementation
- 3D object instancing – less NDS memory used
- AABB (axis aligned bounding box) collisions
- Collision costs – different cost result in different actions
- Simple Car Physics
- Follow and Overhead camera
Anyway after creating this toolset and 3D engine I started work on my game,
But recently I got a job programming computer games so no longer have the time to continue this.
I hadn't initially planned to release any of this apart from the final game, but then decided that someone else might find it useful,
So below you will find a user guide, game source code and 3D engine source code. Read the User Guide for information on how to setup, run and use.
Welcome to the DCEmu Homebrew and Gaming Network. This Network of sites is owned and ran by fans of the retro consoles and the latest next-gen consoles, we post news on all the consoles we cover about hardware aspects, gaming, modification, Hacking and Homebrew. Homebrew and Emulation are software thats made using free and legal tools to play on games consoles. This Network is the only worldwide network of sites where coders can upload and post news of their own releases and get the credit and comments they deserve for all their hardwork. We have a Network that currently supports PSvita, Nintendo 3DS, WiiU, PS4, Xbox720, Nintendo Wii, Xbox360,Pandora, Dingoo, Wiz, PS3, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, PSP, GBA, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Android, Apple, Blackberry, GP32, GP2X, Nintendo 64, Snes, Gameboy, Nes, Virtual Boy, Apple iPhone, Ipad, Ipod Touch, Ipod, Windows Phone and also Mobile Phone Emulation. When new consoles appear we will expand to cover those consoles.
Please help DCEmu become stronger by posting on the forums every day and make our community larger.